Peppers and Sausage Pasta
When you crave a pasta dish, but need something a little more hearty and robust, give this recipe a shot. It’s a good way to change up the usual spaghetti night dinner. Bell peppers and sausage are the stars of this recipe, and they compliment each other beautifully. The sausage creates a nice depth of flavor to the meal. You also have a little room to play with the taste by selecting a different sausage flavor.
⏱️ 40 mins
- 1 lb rigatoni or pasta of your choice
- 19 oz Sweet Italian Sausage (you many opt for hot, or mild instead)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tomatoes, diced (or 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes)
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp of salt
- pepper to taste
- In medium pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add rigatoni and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 c pasta water.
- While waiting for pasta water to boil, cook sausage in large saucepan over medium heat until browned and nearly done. Remove sausage from pan and cut into slices. Put to the side.
- Add olive oil to saucepan. Once warm, add peppers and onion. Cook until soft.
- Stir seasonings and garlic to peppers, making sure not to burn.
- Add tomatoes and sausage to saucepan. Cover pan and stir occasionally. Cook until sausage is completely cooked. Remove from heat.
- Add rigatoni to saucepan with pasta water as needed. Stir until combined. Adjust salt/pepper to taste. Serve and garnish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan.
Goes wonderfully with salad and bread on the side. Let me know below how it turns out for you, and if you prefer this meal or traditional spaghetti.