Fall is right around the corner–hello spiced everything. So before school starts up again and the summer ends, I feel that strawberry shortcake is owed one last hoorah before we pack it up for the rest of the year. I am not a fan of the biscuit-version shortcakes, and really enjoy using angel food cake or pound cake instead. This pound cake is fairly simple, and doesn’t involve too many ingredients or steps. I just so happened to have everything I needed on hand already. So without further adieu, let’s get to baking!
⏱️ 1 hour
- 2 lb strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 c (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- whipped cream **
- Combine strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use
Pound Cake *
- Preheat oven to 325º. Butter and flour a 9×5 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set to the side.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, cream the butter. Add 1 cup of sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Scrape sides of bowl and continue to whisk a few more seconds until incorporated.
- Adding one egg at a time, on medium speed, beat until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl again.
- Add yogurt and vanilla to bowl and mix until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl before finishing.
- Add flour mixture to the bowl and mix, scraping the sides down to be sure it is well combined and smooth.
- Transfer to baking dish and smooth out with spatula. Bake for 40 minutes-1 hour until toothpick comes out clean. Be careful not to overcook. It is ok if the crumbs on the toothpick are moist, the cake will continue to cook in dish after removing from oven.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to cooling rack.
- Once ready to serve, slice into 12 servings. Place a spoonful of whipped cream on top of pound cake slice and top with strawberries
*This pound cake recipe was adapted from https://preppykitchen.com/pound-cake/, and was spot-on the flavor that I was looking for with my strawberry shortcake.
* *Whipped Cream Recipe:
- 1 pt heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- In stand mixer with whisk attachment, combine cream and sugar. Mix until thickened and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps for 3-4 days.
I really enjoyed the simple and buttery flavor of this pound cake with the strawberries, and the lemon juice adds just enough excitement to the strawberry syrup. I do think that homemade whipped cream takes the recipe to the next level. Since I started making my own whipped cream, I’ve never bought another tub or bottle of it again. It is just so ridiculously easy to make.