Chocolate oatmeal, or Chocolate Oapie as we call it in our home (that is the name that my at the time 2-year old son gave it), is the ultimate family recipe. Kinda sad and weird, right? This is something that I came up with a few years back when I was very into clean eating and working out. I needed a meal that provided the carbs and proteins to fill me up and sustain me through my workouts. I’ve never liked eggs, at the time, I was limiting breads, and I am a vegetarian, so oatmeal was the way to go. I never cared for any of the oatmeal recipes that I’ve tried, but I also wanted to avoid the instant Quaker packets. I also knew that I really craved chocolate, so starting the day with a bowl of rich, filling, and chocolaty oatmeal just really hit the spot for me. It’s like a big, warm no bake cookie ❤. Another great thing about this recipe is that you can alter it so many different ways to suit your own taste or needs. When I was cutting back on sugar, I just used less in the recipe. You can use your milk of choice, change the amount of cocoa powder to your taste, or make it as thick or thin as you’d like. Years later, I’m still making this once a week because it’s my son’s favorite food.
⏱️ 10 mins
- 1 c instant oats
- 2 c plus extra (depending on your thickness preference) milk of choice
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A handful of chocolate chips (optional, but why not? We use both white and semi-sweet in ours)
- Add milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Heat milk until simmering.
2. Whisk oats, sugar, and cocoa powder into the milk for 2 minutes. Stir until well incorporated, and remove from heat.
3. Add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until combined
4. Place in bowls and top with chocolate chips. Serve and enjoy–or go workout!