Sweet and Tangy Collard Greens
My absolute favorite way to enjoy greens–sweet and tangy, all at once. I really could eat a big plate of these all by themselves–and I have! I can’t think of many reasons not to serve these as the sidekick to the main dish. Actually, I just look for reasons to make them.
⏱️ 30 mins
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 bunch collard greens (approximately 1 1/2-2 c), rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 c water
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan set to medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook 3-5 minutes, until tender and translucent.
- Stir collard greens into pan, in batches if needed, as greens cook down. Add water and cover with lid. Cook for approximately 5-10 minutes until tender and bright green.
- In a small bowl, whisk melted butter, honey, balsamic vinegar, and ginger together.
- Once greens have finished cooked, drain if needed. Drizzle with the honey butter mixture, and stir in salt and pepper to taste.
This is also a wonderful side with bacon cooked into it. Being a vegetarian, I prefer to leave bacon out, but I have made this in the past by simply adding bacon along with the onion in the first step.